Sunday, January 15, 2012

Running, Running, Running...

If I got a dollar for every time someone said I was crazy for being a hard-core runner I would be making quite a bit.  I understand I am crazy but like with every addiction it consumes my life hehe.  Ok, I wouldn't say I am addicted to running but since I am on scholarship for it I kind of have to do it all the time.

However, looking back I am not sure I would have put myself through all this pain if I had known what I was getting myself into.  But lets me honest.  I probably still would have.  Let me recap a little about what running entails for me these days...

This past week was our first week back for the semester not to mention we had our first race on Saturday for indoor track.  But since we are in our "dead year" our coach doesn't understand the term of "cutting back".  Nope.  He just wants us to push on forward with our workouts and still race on Saturdays.

Monday- 8 mile run.  6 excels (basically build-ups where you do 100 meters building up to a full-out sprint). weights.
Tuesday-20 minute warm up.  8x800m 60sec rest between each on (these were around 3:00min pace).  15min cool down.
Wed.-6 mile run.  4 excels.  Funny feet (form drills basically).  Weights.
Thursday.- 3 mile morning run.  Then afternoon: 20 min warm up.  8x 200's @ ~42sec pace.  15minute cool down.
Friday (day before the meet)- 4miles. 4 excels.  weights (yep.  we did weights a day before ugh).
Saturday- 20 minute morning run. 20 minute warm up (well just the running portion, we warm up about 50minutes before we race).  Then my race was a 5k.  Then a 45 minute cool down (yes, I said a 45 minute cool down)
Sunday- rest, thankfully...

So that was just a run down of my typical training week.  I am sure most of you have no idea about half the things I am talking about unless you are a runner.  Andrew always says it is like I speak a second language.  But, needless to say it is easy to become sore and tired from this.  I miss the good old days before I had 2+hour workouts 6 days a week. 

However, despite all this I have to say I am crazy.  I still LOVE running.  It is one of my passions and it is putting me through school.  Playing sports and college level is like having 2 jobs because you have to work your entire day around it.  This includes sleep, eating schedules, and the workouts.  A full-time job.  Definitely not for the faint hearted :)  But all in all, I a girls got to do what a girls got to do.  

Andrew wishes this didn't consume my life.  For now it is helping me get through school and when this is all done we can finally start planning for the future!  But for now we just got to take this journey one step (or in my case a run) at a time...

Love,

The Andersons

1 comment:

  1. Dont worry...i dont think you are crazy...i admire you..i WISH i could run like that!! haha i struggle...

    ReplyDelete