Sunday, February 5, 2012

Attitude

There once were two men.  These two men happened to both relocating for their jobs in a new city.  One day the first man, now wandering about the new city, happened to come upon an old man sitting on a bench.  He went over the old man and sat down next to him.  He asked him, "My family and I are moving to this new city and wanted to know what it was like."  The old man thought for a moment, and replied with a question, "Well why don't you tell me about what your old city was like?"  The first man said, "Our old city was terrible.  We didn't really get out a lot and no body ever talked to us. We just felt unhappy the whole time we lived there.  We are more than happy to move."  The old man simply replied, "Well I am sorry to say, but this new city will be exactly what you described."

The following week the second man happened to stumble across the same old man.  He went over, sat down, and said, "My family and I are moving to this new city and wanted to know what it was like." The old man thought for a moment, and replied with a question, "Well why don't you tell me about what your old city was like?" The second man replied, "We are so sad to be leaving our old home.  The people were friendly with lots to do.  We made lots of friends and felt like we made a home there.  We are sad to say goodbye."  The old man simply smiled and replied, "Well I am happy to say this city will be exactly like that."

Attitude really is everything.  At times it is easy to look at our lives and feel we are accomplishing nothing.  When I first heard we were moving to North Dakota I was not excited at all. As bad as it is to say, I thought we were going to a barren wasteland far from family and friends.  But, after hearing this story I took a step back at my life.  North Dakota and our time here will be based on our own actions rather than the location.  Already I can see the blessing from moving here.  We have an AMAZING ward family.  People in general are very friendly.  I was able to get a scholarship for xc and track.  I may be starting the nursing program.  Andrew has a head start in his job in the Air Force because of this base and we have an amazing home.  I could go on and on but despite the negative aspects I could say about this place it is up to me to be positive about the things I can control.

Who know how long we will be here but I can't imagine living in a way where I leave with regrets.  Already this Winter is no where near as harsh as I heard.  The sun is shining with hardly any snow on the ground.  It only went int the -30's for a week!  Talk about a blessing.  Somebody is obviously smiling down on us knowing that I need to be worked in nice and easy to this kind of climate.  

But overall, I hope to continue to try to have a good attitude.  There are positive things no matter what circumstances you live in.  I can't fathom feeling down all the time because of my circumstances.  That is no way to live!  So I will continue to smile and make the most of my life right now!

Love,

The Anderson's

No comments:

Post a Comment